Thursday, February 4, 2010

How Lucky It Is for Our Politicians That Americans Do Not Think (written by a REAL Constitutional attorney)

By John W. Whitehead
1/29/2010

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”—Edward R. Murrow
“How lucky it is for rulers,” Adolf Hitler once said, “that men cannot think.” The horrors that followed in Nazi Germany might have been easier to explain if Hitler had been right. But the problem is not so much that people cannot think but that they do not think. Or if they do think, as in the case of the German people, that thinking becomes muddled and easily led.

Hitler’s meteoric rise to power, with the support of the German people, is a case in point. On January 30, 1933, Hitler was appointed chancellor of Germany in full accordance with the country’s legal and constitutional principles. When President Paul von Hindenburg died the following year, Hitler assumed the office of president, as well as that of chancellor, but he preferred to use the title Der Füehrer (the leader) to describe himself. This new move was approved in a general election in which Hitler garnered 88 percent of the votes cast.

1 comment:

  1. Its funny, being that I am only 25, I can entirely relate to the feeling of who cares, Im having fun, I don't want to spend my time studying and researching just tell me whats going on, in other words, what should I think!! But now, it sure has changed for me, and I am so frustrated with others that cant see or don't care enough to do something, even if its just to inform themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Twitter